Lucy  L. GCSE History tutor, A Level History tutor, Mentoring -Person...
£18 - £20 /hr

Lucy L.

Degree: History (Bachelors) - Exeter University

MyTutor guarantee

Contact Lucy
Send a message

All contact details will be kept confidential.

To give you a few options, we can ask three similar tutors to get in touch. More info.

Contact Lucy

About me

About me:

I am currently a history student at Exeter University. I love the study of my subject and hope you will too! The most important part of my tutorials will be sharing this passion and making sure learning is as fun as possible given the stressful nature of exams at GCSE and A level.

I am really friendly open and approachable (I promise!) and have experience teaching and mentoring other students. During my A levels I was the Head Girl for the school which meant I was heavily involved in the wellbeing of students aged 11-18, tutored younger years in literacy skills and A level students in both history and media studies on a casual basis.

My areas of expertise

> The Crusades

> The Civil Rights Movement in America

> Mussolini's Italy

> World War Two

> Hitler's Germany

> The Tudors

> The Wars of the Roses

> Making Modern Britain (British Political History from 1945-2007)

> The Cold War

* These are just a few of my favourite areas (I've studied lots more!) so please get in contact if you have a query about another area - I may be able to help!

The tutorials:

Tutorials will be focussed on areas you have identified to me and will be planned accordingly! This means you can truly get the most out of the session because it will be tailored especially for you. In addition to content, we will be working on essential skills like essay writing, exam and revision techniques.

University applications

Struggling with UCAS? I have been through the application process myself and I understand how daunting it can be! Having a good personal statement is really handy in securing those university spots and can even get you a reduced offer! I can help with writing these to ensure you are putting your best foot forward going in to the next stage of education!

What next?

If you have any queries or want to know more about me and what I can offer please do not hesitate to contact me through a 'Meet the Tutor Session' (accessible through this website!)

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

L x

Subjects offered

SubjectLevelMy prices
History A Level £20 /hr
History GCSE £18 /hr
-Personal Statements- Mentoring £20 /hr

Qualifications

QualificationLevelGrade
HistoryA-LevelA
SociologyA-LevelA
Media StudiesA-LevelA
Disclosure and Barring Service

CRB/DBS Standard

No

CRB/DBS Enhanced

No

General Availability

Weeks availability
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
Weeks availability
Before 12pm12pm - 5pmAfter 5pm
MONDAYMONDAY
TUESDAYTUESDAY
WEDNESDAYWEDNESDAY
THURSDAYTHURSDAY
FRIDAYFRIDAY
SATURDAYSATURDAY
SUNDAYSUNDAY

Please get in touch for more detailed availability

Questions Lucy has answered

What is the best way to structure an A level history exam essay question?

At A level it is best to keep the essay structure simple and clear for the examiner even though your analysis and thought processes should be more complex than GCSE level. Although each question will be slightly different, as a general rule I would recommend this structure: Introduction You ...

At A level it is best to keep the essay structure simple and clear for the examiner even though your analysis and thought processes should be more complex than GCSE level. Although each question will be slightly different, as a general rule I would recommend this structure:

Introduction

You should start with an introductory sentence about the topic that should make clear to the examiner what the question is. Outline your argument/structure for the essay by saying something along the lines of: 'There are conflicting arguments regarding [insert topic] which fall under the main categories of [insert factors you will discuss in main body]. However the most influential factor was [insert the factor you will argue is the most important.]

Remember the introduction should be short, sweet and concise!

Main body

There is no set number of paragraphs but I would reccommend a minimum of 4 paragraphs but aim for 5! Write 2 paragraphs first regarding your chosen important factor, and then 1 paragraph for each of the other paragraphs. In terms of sentence structure it is a good idea to follow a PEAL (point, explain, analyse, link) structure to make sure you hit all of the marking criteria. The link is what most people forget in the essay structure but it is essential to a professional and focussed essay - examiners really go for it! Basically it means you link the point you have made directly back to the question and your overall argument (i.e. most important factor) before moving on to the next point. It is good to this at the end of each paragraph too.

Conclusion

Conclusions should (as the name suggests) conclude your essay so make sure you are not introducing new ideas or evidence. Instead, it should be further explanatory analysis of what you have already said in your essay! Make sure you are not repeating yourself, but try to justify your argument and how the evidence has supported this overall. Make sure your judgement is really clearly signposted to the marker and try not to 'sit on the fence' by not choosing one factor overall. It does however show a deep understanding to suggest that factors had a cummulative effect (as long as you maintain that one was the most influential!) or contributed to the impact of other factors etc. so the key is to show a relationship between factors rather than analysing them separately like you will have done in the main body of the essay.

There you go - a whistle stop guide to A level history essays! This is obviously just a guideline and is very brief so for further help structuring essays and arguments (or if you have any questions about this post) please do not hesitate to contact me for a tutorial.

see more

2 weeks ago

14 views

Why did people join the First Crusade?

The easiest way to split this question is by factor: economic/material gain, religious devotion, legal reasons, social reasons. In terms of historians, the more outdated view was that economic reasons were more important but the modern viewpoint is that people joined for religious reasons. You...

The easiest way to split this question is by factor: economic/material gain, religious devotion, legal reasons, social reasons. In terms of historians, the more outdated view was that economic reasons were more important but the modern viewpoint is that people joined for religious reasons. You can choose which ever factor you want as the most important as your essay though.

This is obviously a very cut down and brief summary so your actual essay should include more detail and analysis as well as understanding of the topic. I would recommend organising a tutorial to go over this essay so I can explain points in more detail for better understanding!

Summary of key points to include: 

Religious devotion

Spiritual

(Modern view – Asbridge)

. Riley-Smith and Bull  à evidence from the Charters – people sold everything.

. Raymond sold everything and took his whole family

. Appeal of Jerusalem e.g. Jesus and Holy Sepulchre

. Godfrey of Bouillon took monks with him

. Bertrand of Moncontour gave up monastic lands  he illegally owned so his soul was pure

Social 

. Feudal system à chain reaction after nobility joined e.g. Count Raymond of Toulouse was  the first Prince to join at Clermont.

.  Violence of knights à  was permitted on crusade, desirable.

. Family history of  pilgrimageà Count Robert II of Flanders’ dad had developed links with Alexios I on pilgrimage in 1089 and Rob felt he should carry that on

Political 

To escape legal proceedings in the West e.g. interest on debts was cancelled.

. Count Hugh of Vermandois was the King of France’s (Philip I) brother who had fallen out with the Pope (committed adultery) so Hugh went to show the Kings willing

. Duke Robert  of Normandy was the brother of William II of England who wanted to see him go and so raised a special tax in England to allow this.

Economic/material gain

(Traditional view)

. Personal advancement à Bohemond of Taranto was a second son and had failed to gain lands in the Balkan invasion with his father in the 1080s. He left crusade at Antioch. “Stand fast all together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the cross because today, please God, you will all gain much booty.”

. Soldiers received a wage à could collect booty “But not to excess” (Pope)

. Drought and poor harvest (1090s) à  nothing to lose. Pope: “land of milk and honey.”

Evidence it was not actually material gain:

Raymond of Toulouse was one of the richest secular Lords in France and a first born son

. Philips: Cost 4  x a knights annual income to go on crusade

. Plunder belonged to Lords  of which there where 200 out of 50-100 thousand crusaders

see more

2 weeks ago

13 views
Send a message

All contact details will be kept confidential.

To give you a few options, we can ask three similar tutors to get in touch. More info.

Contact Lucy

Still comparing tutors?

How do we connect with a tutor?

Where are they based?

How much does tuition cost?

How do tutorials work?

Cookies:

We use cookies to improve our service. By continuing to use this website, we'll assume that you're OK with this. Dismiss

mtw:mercury1:status:ok