Taxing questions for tutors

The subject of tax doesn’t excite many people – except maybe accountants – but unfortunately taxes are a fact of life. If you work as a student tutor with MyTutor, you should register as self-employed with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). It might seem a bit daunting at first, but it’s really very straightforward. HMRC has even created a webpage specifically to guide students at the beginning of their careers:


  • When should I register?

    It is advisable to register within three months of starting work as a student tutor in order to avoid a penalty. Even if you don’t work very much, it’s better to be on the safe side. The registration itself won’t affect the amount of tax you have to pay.
  • What do I have to do?

    At the end of each tax year (5th April), you’ll be sent a tax return to complete and must declare all your earnings for that year. This isn’t as hard as you might think, particularly if you choose to complete it online (in which case you are also given an extended deadline). Simply create a personal account on the HMRC website and follow the instructions for filling in the tax return form.
  • What information do I need to provide?

    Make sure you keep clear records of all your earnings as a student tutor and any other income (including savings). It is a good idea to set up a simple spreadsheet or Word document at the beginning of your affiliation to MyTutor to record all associated financial transactions. This should include the amount of money paid by the parents for each lesson as income and the money you pay to MyTutor for each session as your expenses.
  • Do I have to complete this even if I don’t have to pay tax?

    Tax isn’t all bad news – if you earn less than your annual personal allowance* then no tax will be due at all. However, even if your earnings do fall within the allowance, you are still obliged to complete your annual tax return.
    Please note MyTutor are not financial advisors and it is best to consult the HMRC website or take professional advice if you have any tax-related queries. Whilst working with the MyTutor community you will be considered as self-employed and responsible for your own tax.
    * This is £10,600 for the financial year 2015/2016