How do I calculate the Gibbs free energy change for a reaction when given the entropy change, enthalpy change and the reaction conditions>

deltaG= Gibbs free energy 

deltaG=deltaH - TdeltaS 

If deltaH= 150 kJ/mol and deltaS=2.1 J/mol we must first convert the deltaS into kJ/mol, this is done by multiplying by 10-3 .

So deltaS= 2.1 x 10-3 kJ/mol. If the reaction is done at 25 degrees celcius, we must convert it to Kelvin, by adding 273. This gives 298 K. 


So the value of deltaG can be worked out:


deltaG= (150 kJ/mol) - (298) x( 2.1x 10-3

deltaG= 149. 4 kJ/mol 


Archit M. GCSE Chemistry tutor, A Level Chemistry tutor, A Level Exte...

1 year ago

Answered by Archit, an A Level Chemistry tutor with MyTutor

Still stuck? Get one-to-one help from a personally interviewed subject specialist


PremiumHinsum W. A Level Chemistry tutor, A Level Biology tutor, GCSE Maths ...
View profile
£24 /hr

Hinsum W.

Degree: Medicine (Bachelors) - Edinburgh University

Subjects offered: Chemistry, Maths+ 3 more

-Personal Statements-
-Medical School Preparation-

“Hi, I'm a first year medic at Edinburgh. I've had 7 years' worth of experience teaching children Maths and English and have mentored lower school peers, so I'm bound to have an approach that will suit your learning style!”

Alex D. IB Maths tutor, 11 Plus Maths tutor, GCSE Maths tutor, A Leve...
View profile
£20 /hr

Alex D.

Degree: Chemical Engineering (Masters) - Edinburgh University

Subjects offered: Chemistry, Physics+ 1 more


“I have a lot of experience working with children as a young scout leader volunteering at the cubs for a year and a half as well as being a mentor to a primary 4 and a primary 7 class for a year. I also have a PVG Disclosure Scotland c...”

MyTutor guarantee

PremiumGeorgina U. A Level Chemistry tutor, GCSE Chemistry tutor, GCSE Biolo...
View profile
£24 /hr

Georgina U.

Degree: Chemistry (Masters) - Durham University

Subjects offered: Chemistry, Science+ 4 more

Human Biology
-Personal Statements-

“Hi, I'm Georgie! :) A Chemistry graduate/enthusiast who's looking to tutor and support science learning from 13+ right through to A-level. I'd also love to help you with university applications (including ones for medical school). ”

About the author

Archit M. GCSE Chemistry tutor, A Level Chemistry tutor, A Level Exte...
View profile

Archit M.

Currently unavailable: for regular students

Degree: Chemistry (Masters) - Manchester University

Subjects offered: Chemistry, Maths+ 1 more

Extended Project Qualification

“4th Year Chemist. University of Manchester. Generally knowledgeable about Science. I also like working on improving personal statements, CVs and helping with Interview practice- I've had plenty! ”

You may also like...

Other A Level Chemistry questions

Discuss the trend in first ionisation energies across the second period of the periodic table.

What is nucleophile?

How do buffers work?

What is meant by the 'First Ionisation Energy' of an element?

View A Level Chemistry tutors


We use cookies to improve our service. By continuing to use this website, we'll assume that you're OK with this. Dismiss