What is a radical changing verb?

  • Google+ icon
  • LinkedIn icon

When we conjugate a radical changing verb, both the stem and the ending change, as opposed to just the ending changing as it does for 'normal' verbs.

The stems change for the 'I', 'you', 'he/she/it' and 'they' forms, however the 'we' and 'you (plural)' forms conjugate as expected.  Due to this pattern they are sometimes known as '1, 2, 3, 6 verbs'.

There are three groups of radical changing or stem changing verbs : o -> ue, e -> ie and e -> i (for example cerrar meaning to close conjugates as cierro, cierras, cierra, cerramos, cerráis, cierran).

Elle M. Mentoring Extended Project Qualification tutor, GCSE French t...

About the author

is an online 13 Plus Spanish tutor who has applied to tutor with MyTutor studying at Durham University

Still stuck? Get one-to-one help from a personally interviewed subject specialist.

95% of our customers rate us

Browse tutors

We use cookies to improve your site experience. By continuing to use this website, we'll assume that you're OK with this. Dismiss